Labels

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Homemade Kahlua

While the title may be confusing, the recipe is not!  I follow several blogs on the internet, and being a cupcake connoisseur, I love Cupcake Project!  She always has these fun cupcake ideas, and I stumbled across a recipe for Homemade Kahlua (click link for her blog post).  Having recently discovered mudslides, the alcholic milkhake for adults, and also being a self-proclaimed cheapskate, I was interested in the recipe!  I modified my recipe and ingredients a little, but overall it was the same result.  For those of you interested in the Diet Coke bottle part of the title, the recipe made quite a lot of Kahlua.... almost an entire litre!   Being fresh out of one litre containers and having just finished a 2L of Diet Coke, I rinsed it out and had myself a handy container!  I did remove the label and write Kahlua on it, so I don't pour myself a big glass of Kahlua on my way to work!  I have also included a recipe for deliciously easy mudslides below my Kahlua recipe!  Enjoy!

Here's to full bellies!

Vanessa

Homemade Kahlua (modified from recipe on Cupcake Project)

6 cups of freshly brewed coffee (We used Community coffee, but feel free to get fancy)
1 lb of light brown sugar (my loving husband measured it, by dumping in half of a 2 lb. bag!)
3 1/2 T. of Mexican dark vanilla
1/2 L of vodka (we used a vodka called Fris, recommended by a Big Daddy's Liquor employee)

1.  In a medium saucepan, combine the brewed coffee and light brown sugar, stirring to dissolve.
2. Heat over medium heat at a high simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.
3. Remove coffee/sugar mixture and let cool completely.
4. Add in vanilla and vodka, and store in a tightly sealed container.

Van Smitty Mudslides

3 oz. homemade Kahlua
3 oz. homemade Bailey's
2 oz. vodka
3-4 scoops of premium Blue Bell Vanilla **
5 cubes of ice

1. Combine all ingredients in blender (starting with 3 scoops of ice cream).
2. Blend on high until blended to your liking.
3. Add more ice cream or ice if need be.
4. Enjoy and repeat!
** Using good ice cream makes a difference!  We tried this recipe with store brand ice cream, and our mudslides were more like milkshakes!  Still good, but better with Blue Bell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any and all comments, but lets keep it classy here! :0) Please remember that all opinions, pictures and postings are my own, unless otherwise cited. If you have had a different experience or have some insight, please feel free to let me know! :)