Labels

Friday, January 7, 2011

Pineapple "Stuffed" Cupcakes

Now you know I love some pineapple upside down cake, and I was really craving a cupcake tonight.  I had been doing some internet research to try and come up with a cupcake to enter in the Jelly Belly Cupcake Challenge, and I started cravin cupcakes! :)  I looked in the pantry and saw we had all the ingredients for pineapple upside down cake.  I made the cake mix according to the directions, and filled the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.  I baked the cupcakes on 350 degrees for 22 minutes.  Now came the fun part, the "stuffing" of the cupcakes.  Using a small knife, i cut out a cone shape in the center of each cupcake.  I melted 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave, and mixed in about 1/2 cup of borwn sugar.  I then put in about a teaspoonful of the sugar/butter mixture into the hole I created in the cupcake.  We dropped in a cherry, and then removed a pinch from the "lid" of the cupcake.  We put the cupcake lid back on, and it was a perfect fit!  Next, I used a toothpick and poked holes all over the cupcake, and put another teaspoonful of sugar/butter mixture over the top.  The holes let the butter/sugar mixture soak into the cupcake.  While the cupcakes were cooling, I mixed up a cream cheese icing for the cupcakes.  I used 8 oz. of cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 stick of butter, 4 pineapple rings, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract for the icing and blended it all together.  I got this recipe off of Martha Stewart's website, and must say I wasn't too impressed with the consistency.  It may have been from adding in the pineapple, but it was just thinner than I liked.  For this reason, I am not adding the cream cheese icing recipe, but will keep on the hunt for a better recipe to post for you!  I posted some pictures below of the final results.  Post a comment and let me know how the cupcakes work out for you! :)

Here's to full bellies!

Vanessa

Pineapple Cake

1 box of Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme cake mix
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup of water
1/3 cup of vegetable oil (can also sub for 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce)

Mix all ingredients for 2 minutes on medium speed until well mixed.  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.  Bake for 22 minutes at 350 degrees until cupcakes are golden brown.

Butter/Brown Sugar mixture in cupcake

Add in the cherries!

Butter/Brown Sugar on top of cupcakes

Finished product: with icing and pineapple garnish





No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any and all comments, but lets keep it classy here! :0) Please remember that all opinions, pictures and postings are my own, unless otherwise cited. If you have had a different experience or have some insight, please feel free to let me know! :)