Labels

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Champagne Icing

My sweet sister Theresa asked me to make some cupcakes for her co-worker's birthday, and with nothing to do, I agreed.  His request??? White cupcakes with white icing.  Could you get any more plain? :)  Since he didn't specify what "white" meant, I decided to put my own spin on the cupcakes.  I looked up my dear friend Betty Crocker, and grabbed a white cake mix.  I made the cupcakes according to the box and came up with 24 perfect cupcakes!  **Hint:  Using an ice cream scoop makes for cupcakes and muffins of exactly the same size and shape!**  Now, for the fun part.... the champagne icing! :)  I had a cupcake at a reputable cupcake bakery here in Dallas that offered pink champagne icing.  While the icing was delicious, the cupcake was dry and forgetable.  I Googled champagne icing recipes, and some were too heavy on the butter, while others had shortening.  I finally decided on a recipe that was simple and easy, and got to work.  After playing around with the temperature of the butter, I created the icing with two different consistencies.  One was a thicker icing, that would have been perfect to be piped onto cupcakes with a star shaped tip.  I decided to not get that fancy, and thinned the icing out to create a dipped or ganache look.  The icing was gorgeous, smooth and shiny.  My iPhone pictures do not do the icing justice!  I hope you enjoy this recipe I modified as much as I do!  Happy birthday, Bernie! :)

Here's to full bellies!

Vanessa

Champagne Icing

1 1/2 sticks of butter, slightly melted
4-5 cups of powdered sugar
2-4 T. of champagne

In a stand mixer, combine the butter and powdered sugar, one half cup at a time.  After three cups worth of powdered sugar, add in 2 T. of champagne.  Once your icing is to this point, it is up to your personal taste how much more champagne and powdered sugar you want to add.  I settled on 4 T. of champagne, and 4 and 1/4 cups of powdered sugar.  I like my icing for the "dipped" look a little thin but not too runny.  Pipe the icing onto cupcakes in a circular motion, allowing the icing to spread over the top until totally coated.

The finished product.... look how shiny they are!

Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any and all comments, but lets keep it classy here! :0) Please remember that all opinions, pictures and postings are my own, unless otherwise cited. If you have had a different experience or have some insight, please feel free to let me know! :)